The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) recently released MARYLAND Prepares, Maryland’s official emergency management mobile app, to help Maryland families better prepare for emergencies. The MARYLAND Prepares app is now available for download in the app stores for Apple and Android devices and can also be accessed through the state’s official website, Maryland.gov or MEMA’s website, mema.maryland.gov.
The MARYLAND Prepares app allows Maryland residents to access emergency information and alerts on the go in the event of an emergency. Marylanders can create interactive emergency kits, create customized family communications plans and view preparation guides so they are more informed on what to do before, during or after an emergency.
“MEMA is excited about the opportunities this new app affords Maryland families for emergency preparedness,” said Ken Mallette, MEMA Executive Director. “Incorporation of this new technology adds another dimension to the State’s ability to help Marylanders stay and be prepared for emergency situations.”
The MARYLAND Prepares app integrates with the phone’s text message, email and social networking features to allow residents to let family members know they are safe. Real-time notifications are sent directly to the device from MEMA providing the most up-to-the-minute information for residents.
- Prepare Emergency Kits through interactive checklists
- View Emergency Preparation Guides for different types of emergencies
- Create customized Family Communications Plans
- Send an “I’m Safe” message via email, text, and social networks
- View real-time alerts for emergencies, weather and traffic
- Monitor current cyber threats and suspicious activity
- Access Maryland Emergency Management Agency news and events
- View current and extended national weather forecasts based on current location; save multiple locations
- Locate Maryland Emergency Management Contacts and other useful emergency resources
- Customizable application settings & privacy controls
The MARYLAND Prepares app was developed in partnership with MEMA by NIC Inc. at no cost to the State of Maryland through a self-funded eGovernment services contract with the State Department of Information Technology (DoIT).
Maryland.gov is the official website of the state of Maryland (http://www.maryland.gov
) and is a collaborative public/private partnership managed by the Department of Information Technology (DoIT). Maryland.gov helps state and local government entities web-enable their services and operates without tax funds through a partnership between the state and NIC Maryland. NIC Maryland builds, operates, maintains, and markets Maryland.gov and its eGovernment services.
NIC (Nasdaq: EGOV) is the nation's leading provider of official state government portals, online services, and secure payment processing solutions. The company's innovative eGovernment services help reduce costs and increase efficiencies for government agencies, citizens, and businesses across the country. NIC provides eGovernment solutions for more than 3,500 federal, state, and local agencies in the United States. Additional information is available at http://www.egov.com